Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Now That's Humbling

One of my favorite writers, who had said he was done, is apparently writing again. And he has written 4 (FOUR) versions of a novel and may be now working to pull together the best of each of them into one work. Jeez. I'm getting my panties in a wad over the major rewrite I have ahead of me, and this man has written FOUR VERSIONS of the same novel. I'm just humbled by the commitment to artistic integrity. What a man. What a writer.

According to The Guardian, a friend of Gabriel Garcia Marquez (author of ONE HUNDRED YEARS OF SOLITUDE, CHRONICLE OF A DEATH FORETOLD, and LOVE IN THE TIME OF CHOLERA)has reported that the Nobel Prize winning author is working on a love story, but that he's become highly demanding and critical of himself.

I recall from the exhibit on Miro in Barcelona that Miro went through a similar crisis late in his life. One of his final works was simply a series of canvases with a single black line slashing across them. He was obsessed with the line. All of his artistic vision and focus had finally become so abstracted, so distilled, that he was now conveying everything through a single line. It was a very emotional and touching moment, looking at the canvases and listening to the art critic narrating my audiotour through my headphones describe how a master like Miro had gotten to the point that a single line was all he needed, and yet it was the most impossible thing in the world to do justice to. It was so hard for him to get right, and in the end, I'm not sure he was finally satisfied with how it turned out.

I love Marquez's writing. I'm thrilled that there may still be more work forthcoming from him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello Smitten By the Words:
Perhaps you might enjoy
"Names On A Map" (a novel) by
Benjamin Alire Saenz. Also his
poems as in "Elegies In Blue".
Andres Resendez has an
outstanding book entitled:
"A Land So Strange".
Have a great year. May you
continue to be smitten.
Con todo respeto, John Saunders