Monday, December 1, 2008

What I'm Reading - Medieval Fiction and Chicks with Swords

But apparently never the two shall meet. I've had a bear of a time finding examples of stories of women swordfighters set in the middle ages. You'd think it wouldn't be that hard. Here's a shout out to Mary Gentle for writing ASH: A SECRET HISTORY, a blend of historical fiction and fantasy set in 15th c. Europe that features - ta da! - Ash, a sword-fighting heroine. I can't wait to get my hands on it (hopefully I can find the UK version that's all one book instead of having to hunt down the 4 paperbacks here in the US) after I finish everything else I have in front of me right now.

Here's today's list:

THE PILLARS OF THE EARTH, by Ken Follett
GRACELING, by Kristin Cashore
THE OTHER BOLEYN GIRL, by Philippa Gregory
OUTLANDER, by Diana Gabaldon
SWORD OF EIBHLIN, by Jack Sorenson

I'll post mini-reviews for each as I finish them.

Between work and the kids, I get about 2 hours a day to read. Not great. But I'm trying to readjust back to a normal sleep schedule in preparation for another long haul of regular nights up until 12 or 1 (and then up at 6 or worse with Ada) if the manuscript gets any attention. I'm also taking a little break from the querying right now. I've found about half a dozen more agents that I want to query, but I need to focus on billable work again. Also, I'm hitting about the 3-week mark for my first wave of queries, so I'm hoping to get a few more responses this week and the next.

If anyone has any suggestions for books about sword-fighting heroines from the middle ages (not pure fantasy worlds), I'd love to hear about them.

No comments: